Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Healing

It is the day after the election.  It is the day after the failure of the opposition party to unseat the incumbent president.  It is the day after the end of billions of dollars' worth of negative advertisements.  It is unfortunately not the day after the end of windbag editorial television interviews and acerbic Facebook posts and emails from both sides.

It is the first day of calls for healing.  I applaud those, although calls for healing that emanate from the winning side - from those whose candidate won the election - ring somewhat hollow.  I do not mean that they are all insincere - surely they are not.  I simply mean that to the victors go the spoils, and when the victors pause their party and look up from their feast to ask the losers to join them in "healing," it sounds something less than helpful.

No, it is the losers who must cry for healing.  It is those of us whose candidate did not win who must take the first - and probably the second and the third - steps toward recovering the sense of e pluribus unum that we all say we want.  That cry for healing must recognize who won and who lost; a plea that is a well- (or not-so-well-) disguised demand that the winners give up all or some of their winnings is just a temper tantrum, not a call for healing.

I do not say this out of malice.  The winners, I am sure, want healing.  Of course they do.  They got what they want, and now they want the rest of the nation to fall in line and cooperate.  There is nothing wrong with that.

The losers, though, have to decide what we want.  If those whose vote was in the minority decide that they want to secede, or quit caring, or carp about the process, or emphasize some sort of "real" victory from the close popular vote, or deride the winners, there will be no healing.  If those who failed to persuade the majority decide to sit back and wait for God to redeem what they see as an otherwise hopeless situation, God may well do so, but those sitting back will likely miss it.  Scripture is instructive that miraculous healing generally starts with Christ's asking us to do our part first.  When the blind asked Jesus for healing, Jesus' response was, "What do you want me to do for you?," and He waited for an answer.  His response to the afflicted was, "Stretch out your hand."  His response to the hungry crowd was, "What food do you already have?"  His response to us may very well be, "What steps can you take to get this healing started?"  Somebody may have to start digging through ceilings.

I applaud my liberal friends who have taken to cyberspace to call out for healing, but until my conservative friends take the first steps, I fear healing will not happen.

I do not suggest that losing this election means that Republicans in Congress are supposed to start voting for higher taxes or rubberstamping any judicial nominee submitted to them by the White House.  Moving towards healing does not mean surrendering convictions.  I do suggest that healing will require a change in attitude, a change in rhetoric, a willingness to compromise, and a recognition of the greater good.

I expect my liberal friends will "like" this post.  I hope my conservative friends do as well.

I call on my conservative friends to join me in calling for - and working for - healing.  As we pray, let's stretch out our hands and offer what we have.  Then we can wait to see - indeed we can expect -supernatural, miraculous healing begin.

1 comment:

John Lamb said...

Reading this post triggers not so much the "liberal friend" in me but the "Christian friend." I hear what you're saying here as a brother would hear his brother.

Amen.