Sunday, November 16, 2014

What Hymns Have Taught Me

God in three persons, the Ancient of Days, the Incarnate Word, is the giver of immortal gladness.

This is my Father’s world. In summer and winter and springtime and harvest, the burning sun with golden beam, the silver moon with softer gleam, and the obeying stars join with all nature in witness to His faithfulness and love.

I am prone to wander. I was sinking deep in sin. Sin had left a crimson stain; He washed it white as snow. Seems now I see Him on Calvary’s tree. The way of the cross leads home. He sought me and bought me with His redeeming blood. There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Immanuel’s veins, and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains. No other fount I know – there to my heart was the blood applied. His blood can make the foulest clean. Are you washed in the blood? You shall be whiter than snow. Why do I sing about Jesus? Because He is my Lord and my Savior; dying He set me free.

Not the labors of my hands can fulfill Thy law's demands; these for sin could not atone. Thou must save, and thou alone. Have faith in God – He cannot fail; He must prevail. It is enough that Jesus died and that He died for me. We have heard the joyful sound: Jesus saves!

I once was lost, but now I am found. What a wonderful day I will never forget. After I’d wandered in darkness, I met Jesus. He met the need of my heart. My sins were washed away and my night was turned to day. Heaven came down, and glory filled my soul. Floods of joy roll over my soul since Jesus came into my heart. ‘Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.

He triumphed over the grave and rose victorious for those He came to save. His marvelous, infinite, matchless grace is greater than all our sin. Now I belong to Jesus, not for the years of time alone, but for eternity. Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it! On Christ the solid rock I stand. I am standing on the promises and leaning on the everlasting arms.

Jesus loves me; this I know for the Bible tells me so. We come to the father through Jesus the Son, fairest Lord Jesus, the fairest of ten thousand to my soul. You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart! I stand amazed in His presence and wonder how He could love me. He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. I am filled with His goodness, lost in His love. This is my story: Oh, how I love Jesus.

There’s a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place, and I know that it’s the Spirit of the Lord. Holy Spirit, breathe on me until my heart is clean. I need thee every hour. Open my eyes that I may see glimpses of truth you have for me. Open my eyes – illumine me, Spirit divine. Grant us wisdom, grant us courage. Break me, melt me, mold me, fill me. Have thine own way.

How firm a foundation is laid for our faith in His excellent word: Holy Bible, book divine. Words of life and beauty teach me faith and duty; beautiful words, wonderful words of life.

We’ve a story to tell to the nations. Make the message clear and plain: Christ receives the sinful. Rescue the perishing. Let others see Jesus in you. Sing the wondrous story of our redeemer, who paid the debt and made us free. Send the blessed gospel light from shore to shore and let it shine forever.

Softly and tenderly, Jesus is calling “Come home.” Arise and go to Jesus. Jesus, ready, stands to save. Though millions have come, there is still room at the cross. Just now, throw open the door and put your hand in the nail-scarred hand. Let Jesus come into your heart. Only trust Him. Jesus is merciful. Jesus will save.

Jesus: sweetest name I know. Jesus is Lord of my thoughts and my service each day. Just as I am, I’ll follow my Christ who loves me so wherever He leads. I surrender all to my blessed Savior. There’s no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey. We will follow the steps of Jesus wherever they go. I am weak, but God is mighty, and whatever I do and wherever I am, He leads me. Like a shepherd, He leads us. He has bought us, and we are His. Hold us who wait before Thee near to the heart of God.

Take time to be holy. Speak often with your Lord. Turn your eyes upon Jesus, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. Just a closer walk with Him. Count your many blessings, name them one by one, and see what God has done.

Just when I need Him most, He is near to comfort and cheer. He hides my soul in the cleft of the rock and covers me there with His hand. Oh, what peace we often forfeit and what needless pain we bear because we do not carry everything to God in prayer. When I am sad, to Him I go. Pass me not, O gentle savior; open wide your arms of love. As He promised, I find perfect peace and rest. Gushing from the rock before me is a spring of joy.

Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight: the clouds will be rolled back as a scroll. The trumpet shall sound and the Lord shall descend! I have trophies that I will at last lay down. When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be! In mansions of glory and endless delight, I’ll ever adore Him. We shall gather at the river that flows by the throne of God and we shall meet on that beautiful shore in the sweet by and by. I will be there when the roll is called up yonder. I will sing the wondrous story of the Christ who died for me with the saints in glory gathered by the crystal sea. I am bound for the Promised Land! Made like Him, like him we rise. Ours the cross, the grave, the skies.

Let those refuse to sing who never knew our God… but, children of our heavenly king may speak our joys abroad! Rejoice. Bring forth the royal diadem. Crown Him with many crowns, lost in wonder, love, and praise. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Glorious is His name! O how marvelous, o how wonderful is my Savior’s love for me. Tell of His excellent greatness. O for a thousand tongues to sing! Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I’ve committed unto Him against that day. Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say “It is well with my soul.” The body they may kill: God’s truth abides still. Love so amazing demands my soul, my life, my all.

Amen.

1 comment:

David Deering said...

Wonderful Lyn. Put me down as yet another Gen-X'er who loves hymns. They teach us so much about the Father and about the relationship with Him, that the Saints who've gone before us have.